A great Quest PeopleSoft Week was had! Among several sessions that Astute hosted, one of them was about the new PeopleTools 8.60.
- PeopleTools 8.60 features
- Live Demo of some of the 8.60 features
- Why upgrade to latest PeopleTools
- Why PeopleTools upgrade on OCI
- Issues and Challenges during the upgrade
Why Upgrade to PeopleTools 8.6 is easier on OCI:
- One-click Upgrade
- One-click Cloning/Provisioning
- Management utilities
- Speed of Deployment
- Operational Cost Reduction
- PeopleSoft Upgrade Automation
- Higher Performance
- Increased Security
To learn more about why staying current on PeopleTools is important, check out this blog:
New Features in PeopleTools 8.6
- PeopleTools 8.60 that was released in Oct 2022 was Cloud First delivery. This was released for on-prem later on December 1, 2022.
- The default branding is Redwood with Redwood color scheme, icons, and UI patterns across the application. It also offers co-branding features which can be used to create your own branding and save it for future upgrades.
- In Application Engine, there is a feature called Selective Tracing which can be used to set trace options for selected PeopleSoft and SQL trace output. The display of Application Engine can be zoomed in/out.
- Application Designer
- Drop zones for CI - Component interface offers the support for fields from your custom subpages that are dynamically added to the component buffer at runtime.
- Mask data in PeopleCode trace - ‘Do Not Trace Value’ check box on the Record Field Properties page in Application Designer to mask the passwords and PII record fields.
- Page modifications don’t erase grid personalization - Modifications to pages with grids will no longer erase user personalizations for those grids.
- Fluid Application
- Global Search is available on all PeopleSoft pages. Below screenshot how the Global search is available on a small form factor such as mobile, ipad and tablet.
- Quick access bar - The quick access bar buttons are located on the banner and provide one-click access to your Favorites and Recently Visited items.
- Spell Check Available for Rich Text Editor Fields
- Transparent Borderless Buttons - The push buttons can be made to look transparent and borderless using the psc_button-transparent style. These can be used on standard text buttons, text and image buttons, and image-only buttons.
- Customize ‘Recently visited’ - The ‘Recently Visited’ can be customized to display up to 50 items. The default is 10.
- User Interface
- Device type in System Information page - The different device types from which you are accessing the application can be viewed in System Information page.
- Redwood color scheme and banner layout changes
- PeopleCode - There have been several new classes, methods, built-in functions, Meta SQLs added in PeopleTools 8.60. There will be a few built in functions to be deprecated in future release (Decrypt, Encrypt, and EncryptNodePswd)
- Search Technology
- Configurable Search - Configurable Search provides a consistent search experience for users in classic and fluid components.
- Mask your data at the Query Level for Global Search and Kibana
- Reporting and Analytics
- Composite Query Scheduler - A run control ID can be used to schedule a composite query using the Schedule Composite Query page. The run status can be checked using the Process Monitor link, and the report can be viewed using the Report Manager link.
- System-level settings for pop-up notifications - Select a system-level setting on the Process Scheduler Settings page to enable or disable pop-up notifications for Process Run Status changes and Distribution Status changes.
- Option to select Date Range filters after displaying all process requests .
- The processes are listed in Hierarchal order in the process monitor.
- Run Control ID is available to be seen in the Process List Grid.
- Test Framework
- Support Chrome and Edge for recording - PTF now supports recording tests in Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers.
- BYOD - Users can download the latest version at the time of using PTF. PTF is enhanced to verify the availability of drivers in the PTF install folder.
- Password length - As a security measure, the passwords can be now set to upto 64 characters length.
- User Profiles - Now we can specify account lock date on the User profile.
Let us now get into the details of the benefits of upgrading to PeopleTools on OCI.
- One-click Upgrade - Choose one of your application images from your cloud repository and the latest Tools version, the app will be upgraded as part of the provisioning process.
- One-click Cloning/Provisioning - Clone existing environment or create a new one with the latest PUM.
- Elasticsearch - Simplified provisioning includes deployment and configuration of Elasticsearch.
- Management utilities - Monitor, pause and terminate deployed environments.
- Speed of Deployment - One-click provisioning of the entire PeopleSoft stack. No more manual installations, automated Lift and Shift to OCI, Use Terraform to automate complete infrastructure build.
- Operational Cost Reduction - No upfront investment in hardware. Pay ONLY for what you consume, dynamically start and stop instances.
- PeopleSoft Upgrade Automation - One-click Tools 8.59/8.60 Upgrade, Tools Patching. Accelerate and simplify Upgrades and Patching with Cloud Manager, OCI DbaaS one-click patching and more.
- Higher Performance - Bare Metal and Dense I/O for higher performance. Improve Payroll, batch and online performance
- Increased Security - Transparent Data Encryption (TDE), HIPAA, ISO, SOC, PCI DSS and more.
Astute Business Solutions is ready to help you with your PeopleTools upgrade!